- This event has passed.
Last Chance Canyon/Schmidt Tunnel/Cleanser Mines [Easy/Moderate]
November 30 @ 9:00 am - 7:00 pmFree
This run will take us into the canyons above Goler Heights and into Goler Gultch, passing through Mormon Gulch, stopping by the remains of Holland Camp, Schmidt Tunnel, “The Post Office”, several mining camps, the cleanser Mines, and finally coming out through Last Chance Canyon.
UPDATED SATURDAY MORNING: The forecast is for cold weather, and a small chance of rain in the area in the late afternoon. If we see any signifiant rain we will likely take the “early exit” after seeing all the sights, before entering Last Chance Canyon, as we do not want to be trapped in the canyon if it is raining heavily in the area.
This will be a mostly easy/mildly difficult run, perfect for any stock Jeep or 4X4 vehicle. Much of the trail is flat, dirt road, but there will be some sandy areas, some tight-squeezes, off-camber spots, several moderately rocky areas and a few steep hills including “Graduation Hill” where you will officially ‘graduate’ from a beginner to a ‘real’ Jeeper! There is one “extra credit” section at the beginning of the trail and one at the end of the trail, for the brave.
We plan to finish the day HERE on Redrock Randsburg Road probably long after dark. The entire run, start to finish, is approximately 20 miles.
A few notes about this run:
- Bring plenty of food, water, and snacks. It will be a long day.
- Dress WARM – The weather is predicted to be clear, but very cold
- Pets are welcome but for the safety of your animal and others, please maintain full control of your animal at all times.
- Drinking on the trail (and at lunch) is frowned upon and is very highly discouraged
- There are NO BATHROOMS along this entire route. We will have to make due with bushes and rocks
- You are challenged to bring out at least 1 piece of trash/litter that you find along the trail
- This will be a long day. We plan to finish not long after dark, but off-roading is always an adventure and it is impossible to predict what could happen along the way. If you need to be home by a certain time, this run may not be for you.
REQUIREMENTS AND DETAILS FOR THIS RUN:
- Any stock 4×4 vehicle with a spare tire and recovery points
- A full tank of fuel (please fuel-up at the meetup spot)
- GMRS/FRS radio (optional, but recommended CLICK HERE if you need an inexpensive radio)
- A sense of fun and adventure!
We will meet at the Texaco Gas station located HERE 9:00AM and will roll-out shortly after. Please plan your route to include enough time for fueling up, using the rest-room, etc. If you are late we cannot hold up the entire group.
Date: SATURDAY, Nov 30, 2019
Meet-up location: The Texaco gas station located at
575 Broadway Ave, Johannesburg, CA 93528
CLICK HERE FOR A MAP TO THE MEETUP SPOT
click here to get a “preferred” radio (order on Amazon ASAP and get it delivered by Friday!) , Or Click HERE to learn more about this new type of radios
Scroll down to the RSVP section to sign up for this run. Please post any questions in the comment section at the bottom.
NOTICE: Off-roading is an inherently risky hobby. By voluntarily driving on this trail you agree that you understand there are significant risks and dangers, including the potential for serious injury, paralysis, and/or death, as well as the potential for loss or damage to your vehicle and other personal property.
By attending this outing you also agree that you understand the risks include, but are not limited to, those caused by terrain, weather, temperature, equipment, vehicular traffic, and actions of others, including other participants and volunteers.
You also agree to take all precautions, including the use of safety gear and proper equipment to avoid or reduce these risks, but understand that these risks do exist.
Post any questions in the comments below