- This event has passed.
Twentynine Palms To Indio via Old Dale / Pinkham / Thermal Canyon [PAST]
This event has passed – to see a few photos from this event see this page: 2021 F-Covid Photos
The “2021 F-Covid!” event will be an easy/beginners run on mostly dirt roads that any 4×4 vehicle with moderate clearance can do (any stock Jeep). We will encounter some sandy areas, a few steep hills, and some rocky/rough road sections, but nothing that most 4×4’s with moderate clearance cannot negotiate. Beginners may find some sections challenging! We will do our best to get everyone through unscathed – but this is more than just flat dirt roads. Watch THIS VIDEO which shows the challenging spots – Fast forward to 11:43 in the video to see what the challenging sections look like.
As with all public NotaRubicon events, THIS EVENT IS FREE and OPEN TO EVERYONE with a proper vehicle (see the vehicle requirements below). We will be selling #DONTBEADICKHEAD stickers and raffle-tickets for the prize-giveaway (see below for details).
We will start the day at the the intersection of Highway 62 and Gold Crown Road in Twentynine Palms. From there we will travel through the Old Dale Mining District toward Joshua Tree National Park, where we will make a left-turn on Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail and travel 3 miles to the wide-open areas for lunch and the prize-giveaways. We will then backtrack to Old Dale Road and drive to Pinto Basin Road where we will follow the pavement for 8 miles to Pinkham Canyon Trail, following it to Thermal Canyon Trail, finally ending the day near the intersection of Fargo Canyon Road and Dillon Road in Indio. This entire run, start to finish is approximately 60 miles, and will take the entire day. Most of the day will be driving – the only planned stop is at lunch and potty-breaks every hour or so.
Airing down your tires at the meetup spot is highly recommended as the roads are very bumpy/washboarded and the rocky sections have sharp-rocks that are known for puncturing fully-aired tires. 8-miles of this run will be on pavement (Pinto Basin Road) so we will be careful to keep speeds at no more than 30MPH through this section.
A few important things to know about the 2021 “F-Covid!” (“Farewell Covid”), off-road event:
- CB radios will not be used – We now use only GMRS Radios – to read more about what you will need to hear/talk with the group, please see THIS PAGE
- Face-masks and proper social distancing will be required at the meetup location – no hugging please!
- Drinking is not permitted on the trail – if this is an issue, this run is not for you
- There are NO BATHROOMS along the entire route! We will have to make due with rocks and bushes
- PLEASE STAY WITH THE GROUP – If you choose to leave the group you will be on your own
- THIS WILL BE A LARGE GROUP that will be moving (very) slowly along the trail. If you have somewhere to be Saturday evening or if you find slow-moving groups irritating, this run is not for you
- It will be A LONG DAY, and will likely be hot – Be sure to bring plenty of food, water, and snacks. We will not finish until dusk, or later – If you have somewhere to be Saturday evening this run may not be for you
- There will be an early-bail-out section at the halfway-point when we reach Pinto Basin Road – you can follow Pinto Basin Road all the way to Interstate 10 if you need to leave the group early
- Moderate-clearance 4×4 Vehicle with recovery (tow) points front and rear
- A spare-tire
- A full tank of fuel (fuel up in Twentynine Palms)
We will be on GMRS/FRS Channel 16 – If you have a Baofeng type radio that is 462.575Mhz. Our radios will be on as soon as we hit the road so feel free to listen/join in any conversation on the drive out to the meetup spot.
We will be selling #DONTBEADICKHEAD and In4LO stickers for $2/ea at the meetup and at the lunch-break. (please bring $1 bills – we may not be able to make change)
Raffle-tickets for the prizes are $1/ea or 6 tickets for $5
(please bring $1 bills – we may not be able to make change)
- In4LO T-shirts & Pen from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- T-shirts & Pen from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- T-Shirt/USB charger/Pen combo from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (8)
- Retevis RB27 GMRS Radio (2)
- Radioddity GM-30 GMRS Radio (1)
- Nagoya NA-701G (5.5 inch/SMA female) GMRS antenna from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- Nagoya NA-771G (15 inch/SMA female) GMRS antenna from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- Nagoya UT-72G Magnet Mount GMRS antenna from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- Baofeng UV-5X GMRS Radios (1 set of 2 radios) From Radioddity (1)
- Wouxun KG-UV9G LITE GMRS Radio from BetterSafeRadio.com (1)
- Wouxun KG-805G GMRS Radio from BuyTwoWayRadios.com (2)
- Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO GMRS Radio w/Smiley High-Gain antenna from BetterSafeRadio.com (1)
DATE: Saturday, April 24, 2021
We will meet and air-down at the intersection of Gold Crown Road and Highway 62 (Twentynine Palms Highway) in Twentynine Palms. Click HERE for a map-link to the meetup location. If you are late we cannot hold up the entire group for you so please plan your journey appropriately and include extra time for fueling up and potty-stops.
NOTICE: Off-roading is an inherently risky hobby. By voluntarily driving on this trail you agree that you understand there are significant risks and dangers, including the potential for serious injury, paralysis, and/or death, as well as the potential for loss or damage to your vehicle and other personal property.
By attending this outing you also agree that you understand the risks include, but are not limited to, those caused by terrain, weather, temperature, equipment, vehicular traffic, and actions of others, including other participants and volunteers.
You also agree to take all precautions, including the use of safety gear and proper equipment to avoid or reduce these risks, but understand that these risks do exist.
Tickets are not available as this event has passed.